Monday, July 31, 2017

Appreciation


Received this message from my team lead on Friday afternoon.
So humbled and thankful to know people actually 'sees you'. :')

It is not the first time I have been told something like this, but it’s because people here are not stingy with their compliments that makes work easier somedays. :’)

Blogging it only now because I just fully took in the message today; Having afterthoughts 2 days later. Lol!!!

I read it on Friday and felt a quick burst of happiness, but was out with Jo and Karena, and left it in a corner of my mind. Then, I proceeded to waste my weekend with dramas that I kind of forgot about it until........ now. System hanged so bad. Lol.

I read the message again tonight and thought about it.

Showing appreciation is not common these days. People jump on making criticism faster than acknowledging a job well done. These people don't realize how much this little appreciation could make someone go much further.. how much this simple thought could make someone have more pride in their work. (Not just brightening up their days.)

I say it's a 'little appreciation' because, seriously..... How difficult is it to say "Thank you" or "You did well" that people say it so little? Such simple remarks won't cut your flesh when you say it anyway, right? But I guess, this is a company culture issue?

At least for me, when people tell me that, it shows that they see what I do and makes me want to put in even more effort to complete a job. Making someone happy makes me happy too.

I am proud of how far I have come.

From not being the first candidate my team lead wanted to hire (because I was so negative during the interview), to hating the change on my second day (I actually doubted my life's decision then lol), to completing my first year here and getting appreciated for the work I do.

It's been a great journey.

I won't say there weren't any bad days. Of course there were. I struggled here and there with my own self-doubt, but there were definitely less bad days than in the previous job. Sad to say. Though it wasn't that bad there either...

It is just a different culture.

My team members often tell me that I am the best PMO thus far. I am thankful for this thought, but I never really regarded these feedback because they were just being nice about me being nice (getting good pantry food). At one point, I actually got frustrated for being recognized for just this (like once or twice only la!).

I mean.... food ordering is so simple! I wanted to be recognized for better things! Then I realize it was still something they were grateful for; I could save the trouble, do a halfass job and order just the cheap stuff in bulk, but I don't. I maximize the budget with good snacks so people enjoy them amidst their work.

I can't see myself doing a halfassed job.

Besides, getting appreciated is better than nothing right? That's what this entry is about anyway! Lol.

So yes, I am proud of how far I have come despite getting second thoughts every once in a while. And I am very grateful for the people I am working with right now. Thankful that the managers I work with recognises the work I do. And I am really happy that the people in this organisation are good people - or at least those that I interact and have met with. ♥

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles as long as I
provide credit and sources back to your weblog? My blog is in the very same area of interest as yours and my
users would certainly benefit from some of the information you present here.
Please let me know if this alright with you. Many thanks!

Anonymous said...

This is a topic that is close to my heart...
Best wishes! Where are your contact details though?

Anonymous said...

Hurrah! After all I got a webpage from where I can really take
useful data regarding my study and knowledge.

Anonymous said...

Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you writing this article and the rest of the
website is very good.